Mercy Health Partners and Health Management Associates are proud to announce that our hospital system will change its name to Tennova Healthcare. The name change will go into effect in October, when the Mercy/Health Management transaction is expected to close.
The first part of “Tennova” reflects Mercy’s roots here in East Tennessee and the significant impact it continues to play throughout the region.
The second part of the new name – “nova” – is formed from the Latin word “novare”, meaning “to make new”, and is the foundation of the English word “innovation”, which will be the hallmark of Tennova’s approach to healthcare delivery and is one of the six pillars upon which all Health Management hospitals are built.
Together, the combined words – Tennova – carry a promise of a new way of delivering healthcare to residents in East Tennessee.
In addition to the system, some of the individual hospitals will be renamed. The hospital names will be as follows:
- Physicians Regional Medical Center (previously Mercy Medical Center St. Mary’s)
- Turkey Creek Medical Center (previously Mercy Medical Center West)
- Jefferson Memorial Hospital (previously St. Mary’s Jefferson Memorial Hospital)
- Newport Medical Center (previously Baptist Hospital of Cocke County)
- LaFollette Medical Center (previously St. Mary’s Medical Center of Campbell County)
- North Knoxville Medical Center (previously Mercy Medical Center North in Powell)
- St. Mary’s Medical Center Scott County (name will remain as it will not be part of the Tennova system in 2012)
Health Management conducted discussions with community members across a broad spectrum of audiences, consulted with Mercy’s Associates, and worked collaboratively with Mercy leadership and others to identify and select the Tennova Healthcare name.
For more information on the Tennova Healthcare name, go here.